Friday, April 26, 2013

Spring is finally here at the farm. It has been a long time coming.We have be inundated with cold and  rain for  weeks and so many of us had not had a chance to till earlier. The green house is full of early spring plants that have had nowhere to go until I get a chance to till the ground. The frog leg shallots have been sorted and waiting for a  spot to go in.  I am heading out after late lunch to start the tiller  and see how the soil looks. We have a good strong west wind today  that is just what we need  The leeks in the picture  are so tall I  might be able to sink them in 4 inches when I plant  in the next few days.
     Thank God I have had fiber work that needed tending to keep me busy as I have waited for winter to give up it's fight and the ground to dry out. I attended the Iowa Federation Of Spinners and Weavers last Saturday near the Quad Cities. It was a very beautiful day with lots of spinners and weavers taking home  big bags of Fae Ridge Fiber. I have already begun two new blends and spent several wintery days in the studio washing fleeces and dyeing. Now that the weather has turned I sheared last spring lambs, Ebony, Milo and Trudy. I have their fleeces  on the skirting table just to admire them.  I love the tiny locks of these Blueface fleeces. They look so beautiful I can hardly
wait till next weeks "Processing a fleece class" when we will work our way through at least a couple of the spring fleeces. I am very happy with my hay feeders and how clean  the fleeces look.I had better sign off and go start the tiller.

No comments:

Post a Comment